|By Steve Matthews, Founder and Principal of Stem Legal, a company dedicated to bringing web visibility to the legal industry, based in Vancouver, BC, Canada. He can be reached at 604.826.8072 firstname.lastname@example.org. This compilation is reprinted from his Law Firm Web Strategy Blog.
Taglines as branding devices have been a subject of interest for some time now. Jeanine Magsitza compiled a list of 100 law firm taglinesin 2002; Nathan Burke analysed AmLaw 200 firm’s use of taglines on their websites in 2005; and a few months ago, Carolyn Elefant advised on how to write a good tagline.
Curious to see whether taglines have changed much since 2002, we decided to update the list and see if we could find more. We compiled the list by scoping out hundreds of US, Canadian, and international law firm websites, starting with the AmLaw 100 2009 and Lexpert’s 30 Largest Canadian Law Firms and Magsitza’s big list from 2002. If we could quickly discern a tagline, we made note of it here. We left out generic-type taglines that really only refer to a state or city, or simply to the number of years the firm’s been around.
Taglines follow a variety of formats and styles; repetitive pairs, patterns, puns, and wordplay all figure prominently, and all with the goal of describing the firm’s philosophy succinctly and (hopefully) memorably. Do they accomplish those goals? You be the judge!
101 Law Firm Taglines – 2010 Edition
AmLaw 100 2009:
- Akin Gump: Power of Collaboration
- Alston & Bird: Leadership. Creativity. Results.
- Baker Botts : Deeper Understanding. Better Solutions.
- Baker & Hostetler: Counsel to Market Leaders
- Bingham McCutchen: Legal Insight. Business Instinct.
- Bryan Cave: A Broader Perspective (SM)
- Crowell & Moring: Experience. Creativity. Results.
- Dickstein Shapiro: Experience Innovation
- DLA Piper: Everything Matters
- Faegre & Benson: More together.
- Greenberg Traurig: We’re Built for Change (SM)
- Haynes Boone: Setting Precedent (SM)
- Holland & Knight: Industry focused. Relationship driven.
- Howrey: The Advantage of Focus (SM)
- Jenner & Block: When it’s a Matter of Importance. (SM)
- Jones Day: One Firm Worldwide
- Kilpatrick Stockton: Traditions of Innovation
- Locke Lord: Practical wisdom, trusted advice (SM)
- McGuireWoods: Relationships that Drive Results
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius: We’re In This Together. Your Team and Ours.
- O’Melveny & Myers: Connecting Communities, Clients, and People
- Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker: One Vision. One Firm.
- Perkins Coie: Legal Counsel to Great Companies (SM)
- Reed Smith: The Business of Relationships
- Shearman & Sterling: Aligned for Excellence
- Shepard Mullin: Our Mission is Your Success
- Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal: Partnering for Progress
- Steptoe & Johnson: When Experience Matters (SM)
- Womble Carlyle: Innovators at Law
Other US law firms:
- Adams & Reese: Out in Front
- Andrews Kurth: Straight Talk is Good Business
- Arnall Golden Gregory: Not If, But How (SM)
- Barnes & Thornburg: Enduring Values
- Bernstein: A Business Approach to Legal Service (SM)
- Boyle Fredrickson: You’ve got ideas. We protect them.
- Burr & Forman: Results Matter
- Compatore Law: Legally Speaking
- Connolly Bove Lodge & Hutz: IP Smart. Business Savvy. Client Connected. (SM)
- Cozen O’Connor: The confidence to proceed.
- Davis Wright Tremaine: Defining Success Together
- Dickinson Wright: Great Lawyers. Great Law Firm.
- Ervin Cohen & Jessup: It’s Not a Common Practice. (SM)
- Foster Townsend Graham: Damn Fine Litigators.
- Fox Rothschild: Let Our Experience be Your Guide (SM)
- Fredrickson & Byron: Where Law and Business Meet
- Gardere: Legal Knowledge. Human Wisdom.
- Goulston & Storrs: thinkresults
- Greenebaum: Breakthrough Law (SM)
- Grodsky & Olecki: What makes us different makes us better.
- Halloran & Sage: Your solutions start here. (SM)
- Harris Beach: Lawyers you’ll swear by. Not at. (SM)
- Holland & Hart: The Law Out West
- Holme Roberts & Owen: Experience Listens. Be Heard. (SM)
- Jackson Lewis: All We Do is Work (SM)
- The Law Firm for Non-Profits: Helping Good People Do Good Things®
- Leonard Street & Deinard: Uncommon Wisdom. Common Sense. (SM)
- Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith: Client Focused. Results Driven. (SM)
- Miller & Chevalier: Discern the Difference (SM)
- Morse Barnes-Brown Pendleton: The Law Firm Built for Business (SM)
- Munsch Hardt: Right Firm. Right Now. (SM)
- Murthy: We Know Immigration Matters (SM)
- Phillips Nizer: Resourceful Representation (SM)
- Quarles & Brady: Common Ground. Uncommon Vision.(SM)
- RMKB: A Better Legal System (SM)
- Rose Law Firm: A Heritage of Results
- Sheehy Ware & Pappas: Experience you need. Results you want.
- Snell & Wilmer: Character Comes Through (SM)
- Strellis & Field: Experienced. Driven. Effective.
- Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald: Building Solutions (SM)
- Wells Jaworski & Liebman: Effective. Efficient. Expeditious.
UK law firms:
- Berrymans Lace Mawer: Clear Concise Advice
- Bond Pearce: Clients First
- Browne Jacobson: Law, less ordinary.
- Charles Russell: Understanding Relationships
- Clifford Chance : Committed to Helping Our Clients Succeed
- Holman Fenwick Willan: Lawyers for International Commerce
- Irwin Mitchell: Towards a Positive Future
- Lawrence Graham: Lawyers. Just Different.
- Linklaters: Globally Minded
- Mischon: Not just any law firm.
Canadian law firms:
- Aikins, Macaulay & Thorvaldson: Legal Expertise with You in Mind
- BCF LLP : …Making it Possible
- Blake Cassels & Graydon: Business is our Signature
- Borden Ladner Gervais: It Begins with Service
- Brazeau Seller: Business people. Business law.
- Clark Wilson: BC’s Law Firm for Business
- Cox & Palmer: The Difference is a Great Relationship
- Crease Harman: We Mean Business.
- Fasken Martineau DuMoulin: Beyond Results (TM)
- Field Law: Our Practice is Your Solution
- Fillmore Riley: Practicing Excellence
- Fraser Milner Casgrain: Your Future is Our Business
- Gowling Lafleur Henderson: A Tradition of Excellence
- Lang Michener: High Performance (R)
- Langlois Kronstrom Desjardins: A large firm with a human touch
- Macleod Dixon: Local Expertise, International Depth
- McMillan: Take the Lead
- Robinson Sheppard Shapiro: Our Independence Makes the Difference
- Siskinds: Leaders in their Field
- Stewart McKelvey: When Results Count.
- Zvulony & Co: A Small Firm That Acts Big. (TM)
Did we miss your firm? or get it wrong entirely? Drop us a note in the comments, or an email in the coming days, and we’ll revise accordingly.
And finally, a huge thanks to Emma Durand-Wood (who now has a profile on the Stem website). Emma was responsible for pulling this idea from one of our brainstorming sessions, researching and then compiling the list! A great project, with valuable results!